About the Operations Manager position
We are looking for an efficient, organised and driven individual to join our team. In this role you will work directly with our insurance partners, building efficient systems and processes to launch new clients fast and seamlessly. You will be continuously iterating and improving on our engagement processes, frequently communicating learnings and requirements to the rest of the team. You will also oversee Root’s FSP and compliance function.
This full-time role will be based at our Kloof Street office in Cape Town and comes with a few perks such as catered lunch, snacks, coffee and secure parking. However, the role will require a lot of travel to Johannesburg to engage with our partners in person.
At Root you’ll have the opportunity to learn and grow fast.
At Root, our mission is to drive the digital transformation of financial services by enabling and empowering software developers to build the future of banking and insurance. We package all the difficult things behind easy to use APIs. The existing world of financial services is murky, inaccessible and dominated by cumbersome businesses that struggle to innovate. We’re building programmable banking and insurance.
Root was founded by Louw Hopley and Malan Joubert, and is part of the FireID family of companies, including Offerzen, SnapScan, Luno and JourneyApps.
What you’ll do
- Design and build processes for engaging with our insurance partners and get new clients reviewed and signed-off efficiently
- Constantly improve client review and sign-off processes to create lower-touch, more seamless experiences for our clients to get to market
- Collaborate with our sales and customer success team, to understand our clients’ requirements and opportunities in launching new innovative insurance to their customers
- Work closely with our operations team to ensure insurance administration and reporting is done in a compliant manner
- Build strong relationships with our insurance partners by deeply understanding their challenges and requirements and identifying how Root can help them win
- Identify product requirements from a compliance, reporting and data perspective, and communicate these to the engineering team
- Manage our outsourced compliance officer and work with him to manage and monitor our internal compliance requirements and status
- Ensure Root operates as a compliant Financial Services Provider
- Build positive relationships with appropriate regulatory bodies (e.g. FSCA, PA, FIC)
- Research and remain up to date with regulatory developments and requirements, and communicate potential changes to the team
- Identify opportunities to innovate around existing and emerging compliance requirements leveraging our technology and business model
- Travel extensively between Johannesburg and Cape Town
What you'll need
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 3 years work experience (insurance industry experience recommended)
- Knowledge of Insurance regulation including FAIS, FICA, POPI, and PPR is recommended
- High attention to detail
- Process-oriented mindset and high ability to execute
- Excited and able to tackle difficult problems without any prior experience
- Driven to constantly improve, learn and succeed
- Friendly, transparent and articulate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What you’ll get
This is a fantastic opportunity to learn a lot and play an important part in building the future of financial services. At Root we provide great benefits including team lunches, secure parking, cool equipment and autonomy to take control and run your mission. You’ll get to meet many people in the industry, travel the country frequently, and constantly learn new things. You’ll get to work in a fast moving and focussed startup environment with a team of highly talented and passionate people, driven to change the financial services industry.