About the role
We are looking for an experienced back-end software engineer who will be responsible for building great tools for software developers. You will continually expand and refine our platform to enable clients to launch financial services products faster and easier.
You'll be working with the platform and operations teams to build features and tools that enable us to augment and optimise human involvement in the processes of launching new products on the Root platform. You'll be working on a fast iteration cycle with interesting technologies, shipping code and seeing results frequently.
We’re a small team of software engineers building a product using a “developer-first” approach. This full-time role is based at out Kloof Street office in Cape Town and comes with a few perks such as catered lunch, snacks, coffee and secure parking.
You can check our OfferZen profile to view our tech stack, or if you’re still unsure what the position entails, you can contact Louw (@louwhopley on ZA Tech) for more information.
What you’ll do
- Design, build and maintain APIs and systems across our products and tools
- Learn how to and build using actor- and event-based systems
- Write backend infrastructure code for transaction processing, analytics, etc
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Write impactful code that directly affects users and the company
- Write maintainable code with extensive test coverage, working in a professional software engineering environment (with source control, dev/stage/prod release cycle, continuous deployment)
- Contribute to shared and open-source libraries maintained by Root
- Embrace the culture of an inclusive team where supporting others is expecting from all
What you’ll need
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent working experience
- 2+ years in industry as a developer working with critical systems
- A passion for high-quality software development and backend technologies
- Experience with REST API design and services development on at least one of Node.js, Python, PHP or equivalent
- Must be friendly, transparent, articulate and driven to succeed
- Must be a curious learner