About the role
We are looking for a Senior Front-End Software Engineer to join Root’s Product team. Root is a fast-growing tech startup and we’re on a mission to build the future of insurance. You’ll be working in a high-performance team, you’ll be surrounded by passionate and supportive teammates, and you will constantly learn and grow.
As part of Root’s Product team, you will be responsible for leveling up our client-facing React dashboard for reliability, robustness, testability, and accessibility as we’re rolling it out to more clients in the industry. You will also be helping us to evolve our engineering culture and contribute to our architectural and product roadmap.
This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town but will be fully-remote during COVID-19.
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class company. We take time to know and support each other on a personal level. Over and above the daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit).
We are prepared and eager to change and evolve. We actively invest in personal improvement and knowledge sharing, and there’s never a shortage of thoughtful feedback from team members. We focus on transparency and explicit communication as a core aspect of our culture. You’ll have direct input into improving our product and operations.
You can read more about Root here, and our culture here.
What you’ll do
- Work with the product team on solving interesting and complicated problems
- Contribute to Root’s architectural strategy
- Contribute to Root’s coding standards and principles
- Mentor and guide others in the team
- Implement and evolve a front-end testing framework and methodology
- Lead building out our front-end component library
- Ensure accessibility standards are implemented and adhered to in the front-end
- Write impactful code that directly affects our users
- Write functional and fun guides for the tools you build
- Use continuous feedback to constantly improve the experiences you build
What you’ll need
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent working experience
- 6+ years experience working in the software engineering industry, with a primary focus on building and maintaining front end applications
- A solid understanding in core web and browser concepts (e.g., how the browser parses and constructs a web page, asynchronous HTTP communication, CORS/CSP etc.)
- Excellent understanding of typical web development processes (design, development, testing and deployment)
- Ability to work both autonomously, and in a small team to solve complex problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, highly iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Must be friendly, transparent, articulate and driven to succeed
- Must be a curious learner